Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life, the Universe, and Everything

Before I begin, I must publicly thank Douglas Adams for the title.

Anyway...

The last two weekends, Deg and I have been to the Clark Planetarium. And can I just tell you that I think it's great there? I think that life, the universe, and everything is fascinating. I know there is no way I'm ever getting any of the theories or quantum physics that go into how it works, but that's okay with me. I just like looking at it. It's beautiful out there! Some people get all anxious and freaked out when they look at the universe because it makes them feel small. Frankly, I'm surprised it doesn't do that to me. But I love it. When I was in high school, my best bud knew that if I was having one of those days, all he had to do was stick me in the car, drive me up the hill, and stick me where I could see the stars. I'd just sit there and stare until I felt better (which I always did) and then he'd take me home. Stars just mesmerize me.

So as I've been doing the planetarium lately and learning a bit more about what all those pretty twinklies are, I've been fascinated by the amount of stuff out there. It is estimated that the universe holds about 100 billion galaxies, all of which hold about 100 billion stars. Don't believe me? Google the Hubble telescope. And then be amazed. None of it's artwork. No, my friend, those are all real pictures taken by the giant metal contraption. And it's so cool! I think my favorite are the nebulas, followed closely by dying stars.

Anyway, as I stare into the abyss and just soak in the sights, it just reaffirms my testimony. There is no way this all got started at random. There is no way we are here at random. There is no way that, even with all that out there, my Heavenly Father forgets about me.

Just some random thoughts for a very random Thursday...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i am the same way, as soon as i want to feel significant, i get lost in the desert sands or the stars or the drops of water of the ocean--it make me loved and cared for, too.