Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The best thing I ever ate

As you know, I am kind of in love with Food Network. Like, if you came over to my house at any reasonable time of day, I will be found on the couch watching whatever's on Food Network. (Isn't that right, Cadence?) Anyway, one of my favorite new shows on my network is called The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I love it because it's interesting to see what foodies like to eat. And what they eat usually looks yummy. They have episodes like "Meat-Fest," "Burgers," "Sugar Rush," "Totally Fried," "Pizza," "Wake-up Call," etc. Doesn't that sound yummy? I mean, these are people that eat a lot of really good food, and their choices of what's the best are on point. But their best stuff is surprisingly humble at times. Ah I love food! Anyway... back to earth, Jessica... here's what I'm thinking. Let's do a best thing I ever ate with all of us. Here are your five topics:

1. Best burger
2. Best ice cream
3. Best breakfast food
4. Best foreign cuisine
5. Best fried food

Here's my best thing resutls:
1. The hamburger at Burgers Supreme in Provo, Utah. They are big burgers with the perfect amount of lettuce and tomato and their buns are delicious. Plus, if you douse it in fry sauce (which I don't know why you wouldn't douse most things in fry sauce) it's even better. Deg discovered putting an onion ring or two on there, and dang. Plus, after 8:30, all their burgers are half price. Boo-yeah.

2. The chocolate chip mint ice cream at Kimball's in Lancaster, Massachusetts. Now, you Idaho folk will be crying foul that I didn't choose something from Reed's Dairy. Well, it comes a close second, trust me, but Kimball's totally won. It's just so creamy and rich and their servings are huge (which, let's be honest, never hurts). It's just the right mix of natural tasting flavors and... ugh, I just started drooling. Ice cream...

3. Unlimited french toast at Kneaders in Provo, Utah. I'm not a really big breakfast person. Don't get me wrong; I love a good donut and a few slices of bacon, but if I"m gonna waste my calories on something decadent and fatty, I'll save it for lunch or dinner. And though I love carbs, I'm not really a breakfast carb lover. Well, that was till I tried the french toast. Thick slices of homemade cinnamon bread that comes with homemade whipped cream, fresh sliced strawberries, and this unbelievable caramel syrup that would make your mama cry. And you can go back for as many helpings as you want! It's legendary here, and it will be one of my greatest losses in moving away from the area.

4. Masaman Curry and Pad Thai at Spicy Thai in Provo, Utah. I'm a really picky eater, so foreign foods and I have a love/hate relationship. So when my friends wanted to eat Thai food, I was a bit dubious. Three words: I loved it. And I've since had lots of different Masaman curries and pad thais, but Spicy Thai has my favorites. The curry is thick and rich and peanutty and it has potatoes (oooh yeah) and carrots and chicken and you eat it on rice and my stomach just started growling... Ahem. Moving on. The pad thai is just this noodley goodness filled with nuts and egg and chicken and veggies. Um... just go try it.

5.Honey Stung Chicken Sandwich at Goodwood Barbecue in Orem, Utah. I absolutely love chicken strips. I love eating it whenever and wherever I can. So when my BGH cousins wanted to go to Goodwood and my cousin Lara wanted to split this sandwich, I was down. (In case you're thinking we're wannies because we split a sandwich, this thing is massive.) Oh my word, does that thing deliver. Three of their wonderfully seasoned and fried chicken strips on a beautiful roll with cheddar cheese, their homemade barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato, and a homemade pickle. Beauty. Sometimes, the chicken doesn't all fit in the roll. Darn it - guess I'll have to eat it as a chicken strip! It is a delicious way to eat one of my favorite foods but feel a bit grown up about it.

Okay, your turn. Leave your faves (for as many of the categories as you want) and as much description as you'd like (I know that I'm superfluous and you may not say nearly as much as I did).

1 comment:

degvalentine said...

1. Best burger
Burger Supreme

2. Best ice cream
Kimball's chocolate thingy

3. Best breakfast food
Beto's breakfast burrito w/ chorizo + bacon

4. Best foreign cuisine
soft-shell crab sushi special

5. Best fried food
dunno